God of War features side quests that are very challenging, especially with the Valkyries mission. Among them, we find Eir and we’ll dissect the easiest way to defeat her.
Kratos is back in a new adventure for God of War, exclusive to Sony for its PlayStation 4. Today we return to the Valkyries challenge which asks players to find the 8 mythical creatures in order to summon the Queen. Among them, we’ll be facing Eir and we’ve found the best way to defeat her without too much trouble. So here are our tips, advice, tutorials, just our guide to beat Eir.
The basic tips for defeating the bosses and Valkyrie from God of War:
- Making the best use of Atreus’ attacks: You’re not alone in the battle, and bombarding the target with R2 won’t get you anywhere. So, if you are far enough into the adventure – and you better be – you’ve had the good idea to develop your son Atreus’ abilities. He will be able to launch a ranged attack (Maintained Square) as soon as the battle begins, which will immobilize your opponent for a short time. Why use it at the beginning of the fight? To be able to use it twice. Once you use it, go after him to attack him. Don’t hesitate to order some arrow shots, it can only help you.
- Making the best use of your special attacks: It is not advisable to chain R1s or R2s together in a vacuum, as this could leave your opponent free to inflict attacks from a distance or even close together. It is important to know that on paper, it is more powerful than you and you will not manage to chain it so easily. For each weapon in Kratos, you normally have two special attacks. Thus, as soon as you are close to your opponent, preferably at the beginning of the fight to use it the maximum number of times, strike him with L1+R1 or L1+R2. If the blow has been struck, the opponent will be stunned for a second during which you can chain the attacks. Not too long!
- Reading the Valkyrie pattern: Against these creatures, the best offense… is defense, not the other way around. It is therefore strongly advised to read the pattern, i.e. its different attacks and combos, in order to think about how to dodge it as best as possible and prepare a counter-attack. The moment when it will be most vulnerable will be at the end of its combo. Once you’ve dodged it brilliantly, you’ll move on to attacks.
- Rage mode: A Kratos speciality since its inception, Rage mode allows you to be invulnerable… or not. By activating L3+R3, you won’t suffer any damage, but Valkyrie won’t let you. If it hits you, your rage level will decrease. Therefore, it is advisable to protect yourself with the shield for ranged attacks, or even dodge to get closer to it. Beware, it also has special attacks that allow it to catch you not without cruelty. Staying in close combat is therefore essential. There is also a timing to exercise your rage mode. It is advisable to activate it when your health begins to diminish drastically. Indeed, when you use the Rage mode, you recover from life. So don’t use it from the very beginning of the fight when your gauge is full, but rather when you’re banged up.
- Take a healing stone with you: Your favourite dwarf blacksmiths have two of them, one from the Berserker to resurrect you with the Rage Gauge, the other to restore your life. If you take the first one, remember to quickly activate Rage Mode to regain your health and deal direct blows to the enemy.
Advice against Eir, a tenacious Valkyrie in God of War:
- When it flies in the air, prepare your axe and throw it at the target: You will have one second to reach it and if you succeed, your opponent will be stunned for several seconds. Don’t waste time and rush towards it to strike it three or four times, or even a special combo.
- When she locks herself in her feathery shell, two solutions: 1/ Move away because it is preparing an attack in its small perimeter. 2/ Launch a powerful attack (L1+R2) which will pierce its defense and will allow you to bring him non-negligible damages.
- When she hits the ground with her light weapon, move away or move to the sides in perfect timing: If Eir’s attack hits you, limit the damage, move away, and prepare to dodge as she will get closer.
- When she attacks with her wings with backhand strikes, dodge with a roll to the left and then a roll to the right. A final movement to the right will probably be required to counter-attack just behind. Again, timing must be perfectly controlled.
- Once you have mastered the first tip, voluntarily move away from Eir so that she flies away and throw the axe at him.
Soon on articlesgames.com for God of War :
The guide for all Valkyries
The Treasure Map Guide
All the bosses on video
The safes to find and unlock
The God of War test